Sunday, November 05, 2006

Shoving and Value Betting

I think I messed this one up:

AK in the cutoff: http://www.pokerhand.org/?594592

The flop is excellent - I flop trips with top kicker. The only hands that beat me are 88 and A8. The SB checks, I bet $6.00, and am mini-raised by the button - the BB calls. I elect just to call to disguise the strength of my hand and to let the button do my betting for me.

The turn gives me the nuts - a King. It's checked to the cutoff who then checks right behind. The river is uneventful. There is like $46.00 in the pot and I just bet $20 into it. That's where the mistake came in as fripit flopped trips as well. A bet of $40 into $46 would have looked a LOT less like value bet and STILL gotten called. I should have bet more - he still would have called me.

With that in mind (and remembering Eric's set-over-set scenario), I was going to be a lot more aggressive next time I got a good hand. This came up with 22 in the BB:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?594704

It's donkey-raised to me and I elect just to call. The flop is excellent - I've got a set. I decide to bet it out, am mini-raised (I'm putting him on an overpair - I'm hoping Aces), and I re-raise to $12.00. He calls.

Turn is a Q, I bet $20, he calls. The river is another queen, I bet $45 and he calls with 88. I led the whole way and he showed why he's a bad player.

Then this hand AQs from EP: http://www.pokerhand.org/?594709

I raise and hit a pretty good flop - TPTK. I bet out like I always do and am called. The turn is a good card - giving me top two. I bet again and this time am mini-raised.

Now ... he could have KT, AJ, a set of 3's or QJ. I'm way ahead of QJ, and way behind a set of 3's and KT (90/10). It's $14 more and my implied odds ($14 for $206 if I stack him) are about right. I call.

Gin card on the river - the only thing that now beats me are pocket Aces. This time, instead of value betting, I just shove and hope he sees that as a bluff or I have something like KQ or QT. If he has KT or pocket 3's he's calling. Cha-ching! Payday!

Finally, I raise with KQs in the cutoff: http://www.pokerhand.org/?594714

The BB calls and I hit a monster - a straight and flush draw. I already decide that I'm going to go all the way with it. He checks, I lead out a standard $5.50 into the pot. Call.

The turn is the gin card - an ace. I now have the nuts with my straight. Check, bet, call. The river is 2 of hearts, giving me the 2nd nut flush. He leads right into me for $25.00. Even though I don't have the nuts, I beat just about any other hand right now - a set, a straight, two pair, a smaller flush. I elect to shove the rest of the $72.00 that I have and am called down by his top two. What a bad move by him! Best have a big hand in a big pot, and top two against a river all-in re-raise from a deep stack just doesn't sound so good.

Shove with winners, value bet your good hands.

So the trend of me winning big hands continues. Given my share of bad beats, QT vs. my TT - two Queens hit (short stack), KQ with top pair and guy catches runner-runner 9's for trip nines ($25 stack), I'm up $213 for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home