Thursday, April 12, 2007

Online Poker, Limits, Job, etc

I work full time as a math teacher. My job is from 8:00 a.m. to around 4:00 p.m. I make around 30/hr. There are parts of it that are very rewarding, but there are also parts of it that are very frustrating.

While poker is very swingy, I make a lot more playing poker online as I do at school. This has made me wonder what playing professionally would be like. It blows my mind that one can get online and just start making money like this.

I've played some $600NL in the past few days and am up a couple of buy-ins. The reason I chose to play $3/$6 was because I think there are a lot of bad players even at this limit. Yes, there are a lot of good regulars there, but overall, some of the plays are just crazy. It's a very profitable level. As is $2/$4. As is $1/$2. I think that the experience of playing at $3/$6 will help make me a much better $2/$4 player and that will make me a much better $1/$2 player.

I guess the bottom line is that playing $3/$6 creates more potential for higher profit. I don't have to grind as much on the lower levels to show a profit.

My bankroll of ~$15,000 means the following:

- 75 buy-ins for 200NL
- 37.5 buy-ins for 400NL
- 25 buy-ins for 600NL

I think that if I ever drop below $10,000, I should no longer play 400NL or 600NL. I made that mistake back in February basically dropped all the way down to $2000. I am a much better player right now and much more aware of my bankroll. I feel very confident about my 200NL game and I feel that it's a good place for me to drop back to if my confidence/bankroll ever take a big shot.

I really feel fortunate to have followed Brian "hookem148" or "hyperaggrdonk" Rue's blog. I used to datamine his games whenever he played and analyze his play. I learned so much from him. I've also had many conversations with him about poker in general and the knowledge I've gotten out of it has been invaluable. He is the man and I think that if he didn't have the patience to help me with my game I would have very little direction. I owe him a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home